This first course is designed to support you in your transition to an advanced level of study. This course is designed to provide learning experiences on critical thinking and scholarly writing—essential skills in a graduate program as well as professional practice. It allows you to acquire and practice the skills necessary for online learning to expand your understanding of the expectations of advanced, graduate-level work.
This course also examines how educators can ensure that student learning remains the key driver of all decisions made in schools, school districts, institutions of higher education, and other public or private organizations and businesses. Equally important is that these decisions are made ethically, with integrity and fairness.
This course requires study, examination, and analysis of essential elements of education leadership. At Capella University, courses are designed based on the competencies necessary to demonstrate a program’s learning outcomes. The course competencies are the knowledge, skills, abilities, and professional attributes required to perform tasks successfully in a given context. Course competencies established by the university, School of Education, and your specialization guide the learning experiences of each course experience through to completion of your program.
To successfully complete this course, you will be expected to:
- Determine how action research and systems thinking apply to professional problems, challenges, or issues in education.
- Apply information literacy skills to locate and critically evaluate scholarly data, theories, and research.
- Critically reflect on one’s own professional decisions, attitudes, actions, and skills to direct one’s own learning and growth.
- Analyze the characteristics of ethical behavior and respect for diversity and civil discourse.
- Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and appropriate to purpose.
Projects & Assignments
Assessment 1 – Understanding of Research Requirements
Assessment 2 – Literature Review
Assessment 3 – Ethical Behavior Diversity and Civil Discourse
Assessment 4 – Critical Reflection and Writing Process Evaluation